Monday, October 18, 2010

Rediscovering Design


Even when confined inside a building, one can still find creativity from the limited surrounding. I feel that I often find my creativity by being spontaneous. I take whatever I find in front of me, think of what I can do with it, and begin working towards the first idea that appears in my head.
 Photo by Diane Wu
As represented by the photo, I created six cubes from scotch tape, and began arranging them in certain patterns. It wasn’t until I placed them inside a clear rectangular container and shook the cubes into different arrangements that I remembered Kostas Terzidis’ article on The Etymology of Design: Pro-Socratic Perspective. He states that “design is about the derivative of something that suggests the presence or existence of a fact,” meaning designers never create something new because it already existed before, the same way a fact will always exist. Designers simply arrange and rearrange certain things so that it may appear different or innovative. However, it had already existed before.  We simply rediscovered it once more.

My six cubes in a clear plastic container replicated this idea by showing that no matter how much we shake the container and rearrange the cubes into different patterns, these patterns are not newly created by the designer. These limited arrangements have already been discovered before, but human memory can only live so long. When the new idea is forgotten, it will be rediscovered in the future as something “new”, and the cycle continues into the future. No matter how creative or original a designer may seem, a design similar to theirs have probably been already used in the past, but in such a small scale that the original idea of the past designer was soon forgotten.
 Photo by Diane Wu
 Photo by Diane Wu

Sources: 
Terzidis, Kostas. "The Etymology of Design: Pro-Socratic Perspective." MIT Press Journals. 5 Oct. 2007. Web. 20 Sept. 2010. <http://ucelinks.cdlib.org:8888/sfx_local?sid=mit&genre=article&id=doi:10.1162/desi.2007.23.4.69>.

No comments:

Post a Comment